Potomac Crossing COVID-19 Update June 17, 2020
Status of the Potomac Crossing Association Community Pool
- On behalf of the Potomac Crossing Board of Directors and management, we are providing this update on access to community pool under the current directives necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Board has given careful and thorough consideration to the impacts of the Governor’s Executive Orders, the risks to individual and collective health, the ambiguity existing in the insurance industry regarding coverage and the financial burdens of compliance. The Board has made the difficult decision that the community pool will not open for the 2020 season. In order to make a fully informed decision, the Board of Directors considered information provided by the Commonwealth of Virginia reopening directives, our pool management company, community management, Association legal counsel, Association insurance broker, the Center for Disease Control (CDC), and the Loudoun County Health Department.
The Potomac Crossing Association must comply with applicable requirements established by the Governor’s Executive Orders. The Northern Virginia Region (including Loudoun County) entered Phase Two starting Friday, June 12, 2020 under the Amended Executive Order Number Sixty-Five issued by Governor Northam.
It is unknown what phase, policies, or guidelines will be in place throughout the summer as directed by the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Loudoun County Health Department. Opening the pool could potentially result in a gross waste of Homeowner Association funds. The current mandatory operating requirements present many challenges for compliance:
• Hiring additional staff would be necessary so lifeguard attention is not taken away from their primary responsibility of patron surveillance and injury prevention that would result in a negative effect on pool operations. The additional staff would be needed to screen residents for COVID-19 symptoms prior to entering the pool area, enforce social distancing in and out of the pool, as well as ensuring masks are being worn when not in the pool.
• Required disinfection would occur multiple times a day, as well as routine cleaning and disinfection of the common-use and high-contact areas and hard surfaces, including but not limited to doorknobs, tables, chairs, light switches, handrails, floors and other equipment, including cleaning pool furniture between each use.
• Pool capacity and usage would be limited by number of people, and the additional staff would have to enforce this.
• It is important to remember that these additional duties and additional staff would require additional expenses to the Potomac Crossing HOA.
• Additionally, our pool management company is not able to guarantee lifeguard staff availability. This is caused by a combination of the restrictions on international travel and work visas (on which their industry relies), as well as the challenges and restrictions on training and certifying local guards under current State guidelines.
We hope that you, our members, understand that this decision was not made lightly. Our responsibilities as directors is guided by preserving common assets, demanding a more cautious approach. While it is our duty as the Board to not only make sound financial decisions, it is also our duty to make difficult decisions especially when the safety and health of our neighbors is at risk. The safety and well-being of our community is our top priority.
Closing the Potomac Crossing pool allows the Association to alter the contract with the pool management company for maintenance only at a savings of $40,900 for 2020. This results in a savings of $44.17 per home, which will be credited to the HOA account of each household.
The Potomac Crossing Board of Directors will hold a regular Board meeting on Wednesday, June 24th, 2020 6:00pm at the pool facility deck, 800 Balls Bluff Road NE, Leesburg, VA 20176. This meeting, as are all HOA meetings, will be open to the residents. We expect to hold the Potomac Crossing Annual meeting of the membership sometime in July or August. A further announcement will be made when the date is finalized.
Please contact our Community Manager, Patrick Vasold email@example.com (703) 771-9355 if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
Potomac Crossing Board of Directors
For additional resources, please refer to Executive Order Number Sixty-Five (2020) and Order of Public Health Emergency Three, Phase Two Easing of Certain Temporary Restrictions Due to Novel Coronavirus; Guidelines for all Business Sectors.
Playgrounds And Outdoor Amenities Closed
Due to COVID-19 concerns, when you are on the common areas, the Association recommends that everyone strictly follow the CDC’s, Surgeon General’s and Virginia Department of Health’s guidance for social distancing and avoiding touching any surfaces, such as benches and playgrounds. The Association’s outdoor amenities, such as tot lots/playgrounds/fitness stations/basketball courts, have not been, and will not be cleaned for COVID-19 and will be closed until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. Walking paths and open spaces remain open. The Commonwealth of Virginia stay-at-home order allows for “Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements”. It was reported that an ice cream truck has been stopping in the community and that patrons have lined up without regard to social distancing. The HOA discourages this activity for the safety of all residents and it is a violation of the Commonwealth or Virginia Executive Order 55 which is a Class 1 misdemeanor pursuant to § 44-146.17 of the Code of Virginia.
PMP Office Closed For Walk-Ins
The Property Management People office will continue to be closed to walk in visits. If you would like to reach PMP, please contact our community manager, Patrick Vasold: Patrck.Vasold@pmpbiz.com. 703-771-9355
Potomac Crossing Landscaping
At this time, the Potomac Crossing landscaping contractor will maintain the common areas as contracted, without a degradation of service.
Potomac Crossing 2020 Events
The Potomac Crossing 2020 annual Easter Egg Hunt that was scheduled for March 28, 2020 was cancelled. We look forward to hosting the event in 2021. Please be on the lookout for information regarding upcoming Potomac Crossing Events.